Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I am sick of falling to the same sinful choices, HELP!

Are you sick of trying to conquer that sinful habit in your life, only to be met once again by bitter defeat? I am. But here is a big part of the problem. Too many of us have been taught that all we need to do in order to overcome that sinful habit in our lives is regular church attendance, or self-discipline, or accountability, or devotions with breakfast, or strong desire, or cold showers, or...ah, never mind, you get the idea. All of those things may be helpful, and do indeed serve a purpose, but they all miss the mark. They all fall short. You know why? Because they all have to do with ME. When I am in trouble, when I am trying to overcome that sin that is just so powerful and pervasive in my life, the last thing I need is more of me. In fact, the Bible is clear, no man goes toe to toe with sin, in his own strength, and survives. We lose. Check out Joseph's example in Genesis 39. You know what he did? He ran. Yeah, so the last thing we need in those moments where we feel our defenses falling and that temptation rushing in like an unstoppable force is more of ME. We need less of me and more of God. That is the only way to experience victory over sin. Paul wrote in Galatians 5:16 - "So, I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature." You can experience freedom from that sin. You don't have to be it's slave. Paul also wrote in Galatians 5..."It is for freedom that Christ has set us free!" So, how do should I seek to live with less of me and more of God every day and every moment?
1. Confess all known sin to God (1 John 1:9) We can't experience the power of God in our lives if we harbor unconfessed sin...God doesn't play second to anyone or anything.
2. Ask God to fill you  (Luke 11:11-13) He promises He will! Live life under His influence and power, not your own!
3. Believe that He has filled you (Mark 11:24) Live in confidence man! God's power is at work in you! If you ask for something that God is willing and please to give you, He will give it to you. And believe me, He wants you to have His power at work in your life, especially as you desire to overcome your sin!

No comments:

Post a Comment